Thursday, July 02, 2009

***The Man in the Mirror No More***


I remember I grew up to his pieces of work, art I would say. I was totally obsessed with him back then I was about 11/12 years old. From his "ABC" days to "Ben" to "Billie Jean" to "Beat It and "Thriller" to "Bad" to "Black or White" to "Heal the World" to "Rock With you". I was always in awe of his phenomenal dance moves in those video clips and had always questioned "How eh?" Even owned a VHS of his MoonWalker movie though to this day I never understood the storyline nevertheless the moves to that particular song Smooth Criminal was just out of this world. His songs to me were definitely catchy and the up-tempo ones certainly addictive.

My favorite tracks growing up were definitely "I just can't stop loving you"," one more chance", "human nature","the girl is mine"....yup the mellow ballads.

It totally caught me off guard when reports that morning on the way to work claimed that the King of Pop was gone. That particular morning was definitely a morning to remember. All stations that I know off, paid a tribute to the King by playing his songs. Boy, his songs sure brought back a lot of memories. Of course his demise struck a chord in me and too was sad with a tad bit of disappointment that he was no longer around. I think majority would just assume that he will be one of those living legends who would grow old and lead a long life (At least watch his children grow up).

The memorial held for him at the Staples Center in my opinion really celebrated his life though it was sombre. Of course with the tears of Brooke Shields, Usher, Jermaine Jackson my tears trailed after. After Paris's told the world that Michael was the best father one could ever imagined and that she loved him, i bawled like a broken tap. I felt her pain and can not imagine what she and her siblings are going through. The words of Rev. Al Sharpton was so true to the core;
I want his three children to know: Wasn't nothing strange about your Daddy. It was strange what your Daddy had to deal with. But he dealt with it...He dealt with it anyway. He dealt with it for us.

I know people make passing comments, some good some negative. All I can say is, just like how my parents introduced me to P. Ramlee and his work, they also introduced me to Michael Jackson. Just as how I know by hard P. Ramlee's songs and I love them mind you, I also love the many songs of Michael Jackson, Elvis, The Carpenters, Engelbert Humperdinck, The Beatles and many more. Just as how my parents taught me to watch "Ibu Mertuaku"," Annakku Sazali", "3 Abdul", "Bujang Lapok", they also taught me to watch " Sound of Music", "Love Story", "Mary Poppins" , "To sir With Love" and many others. I will very likely do the same to my kids. Isn't the point is not to forget?Without the old where is the new? These legendaries has put a mark in the world. Though their work is artistic, they are still unforgettable and they carved a spot in history. Worth remembering don't you think?

I lived when Michael died. I saw the unforgettable memorial and cried, mourned with the rest of the world. A piece that I can keep when my children and theirs asks "Who is Michael Jackson?" or "Who is P. Ramlee?"

Daanya loves Beat It and Black or White, she hits her drums the concert performance of Beat It. Loves Michael's dance moves. And answers "Michael Jackson dead already" when asked "What happened to Michael Jackson?" At least she knows that these are influences of her parent's lives growing up.

Goodbye Michael! You are definitely a king to me regardless of all your tribulations. RIP (July 2009)

0 comments: